Wednesday, April 25, 2007

John Flippin' McCain

Like many liberals, I once cited McCain as my token Republican friend. I could say, “I’m not partisan! I like John McCain!” just as racists claim to have that one black friend. Even when I disagreed with him, I still respected McCain because he seemed to act according to principle and not polls. He even compelled me to vote in the Virginia Republican primary to show some McCain lovin’.

How times have changed. It’s been about a year of painful McCain sightings (which he aptly kicked off at Bob Jones U., in case we had any doubt of his intentions), as he’s de-evolved from a man of integrity to a Bush groupie. Even with diminished expectations of him, I still hid my head under a blanket during his interview on last night’s Daily Show (what was up with his leading with an IED joke? nothing like a little IED humor during a war, eh? and then going right into dog-kicking… he seems to have taken a lesson in the Alec Baldwin school of diplomacy).

The scariest part... this is just the the kind of behavior that gets a man elected. Shudder.

If you missed last night's interview, here you go:

3 comments:

Mick and Bashi said...

I shall solicit and post an unflattering portrait of John McCain for my Gallery of Famous People in solidarity with your blog.

Anonymous said...

In point of fact, John McCain has always been a hawk on matters military. He still thinks Viet Nam was a good idea...

...he's also always been vociferous in his anti-abortion views...

He's just pandering to voters now, but his essential views haven't changed that much. That liberals and folks on the left have given him a pass for so long has always sort of puzzled me.

Regards,

Dr. Slojak-Pittman
Associate Professor, Department of Atmospheric Studies
University of Machu Pichu, Peru

feminist chick said...

M&B: Ha! I look forward to seeing the pic. Extra points if he's kicking a dog.

Dr. S-P: I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize how anti-choice he was. I knew he was hardly the voice of NARAL, but thought he wouldn't touch Roe v. Wade. A quick Google search proved otherwise (and how). Oh hell, can you imagine how the Supreme Court would look after years of a McCain presidency? Never again will I say, "How can it get worse than this?"

The reason I gave him a pass was because he didn't just go with the party line; he seemed to have a moral compass. Now he'd need two hands and a flashlight to find his own arse (where he'll also find his head).