Thursday, March 30, 2006

Preppy Hell

Recently I received a gift card for JCrew and gleefully skipped through SouthPark Mall to claim a new Spring outfit. Eww. Ewwwww. It's turned into Preppy Hell. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm hardly alterna-girl, but even I fall on the fringe of society if JCrew defines mainstream. Formerly the place where I'd get comfy sweaters and tees, JCrew now the place to go if you're in the mood for a t-length skirt with a large picture of a lighthouse on it, paired with a captain's jacket. Oh how I wish I was joking, me mateys. May I present, JCrew's spring line.

You, too, can stand just so.
Accessorize this argyle must-have
with the matching stick to put up your butt.


Because, really, how many times have you not had the perfect thing to wear to a clambake?



You'll always have Paris in this little number...
or at least a Parisian streetscape
drawn onto your dowdy skirt.


This is where it goes from weird to ridiculous. Weird is buying a sweater with a turtle on it. Ridiculous is paying $140 for it. Who? Why? No. And for goodness sakes, woman, brush your hair. You're a model.

1 comment:

Digital Joey said...

You need to start a photo/video fashion podcast with commentary. And get somebody to get you a turtle shirt.

An aside: we're doing the JMU Home and Garden show this weekend, and some folks we've bought shirts from, Shirt Happens, are there. Shirt Happens have GREAT prices and they're a nice couple of guys named Mike and Travis. We were talking and a young lady came up to them, said "Okay, I'm on the JMU Ultimate Frisbee Women's Team. We had COMPANY X put our logo on some jerseys, and now we want numbers and names on the backs."

Frisbee girl explains some about the color and the ink. She talks a little more about COMPANY X. Then she gets to the real issue:

"Problem is, COMPANY X wants $25/shirt again for each shirt. How much would it cost for you guys to make the same shirt?"

Mike looks at her, goes "Well, probably no more than $6."

I have not seen such a cool double take in months.

Aside over. We'll alwyas have Paris... on a skirt.